3.18.2007

work hard don't stop

so it's officially spring break, and i'm back from the Northwest Developmental Biology conference at Friday Harbor (hence the pictures earlier). It was fun, but I left right after my last final, and spent 3 days thinking about science. And now I'm home and ready for a day off before I get to work on my research over the break. I need to go buy food, but I'm running low on cash since I went out to dinner a few times this weekend, and I'm kind of stuck on the couch blowing my nose every 5 minutes. The cold is almost over, but it's left me with a lovely sinus infection. i don't want to have to get antibiotics, but I'm not sure what else can be done against a sinus infection. (And yes, I know it's an infection... I could share details here about the fluorescent color of my snot, but I don't think you want to hear about that...) Ugh! I feel fine except for the fact that my head is full of green gooey goodness.

So spring break means new quarter, and new quarter means new classes and new textbooks. I'm only taking 2 real classes, but they're not going to be easy, and I'm also trying to crank out some data for my project, mapping and characterization of my zebrafish mutant. That means that I'm going to need to get at least one pair of consistently breeding heterozygote pairs of fish, something I have had trouble with the last few months. Grragrh, the fish better start giving. My 2 real classes are 3rd quarter biochem and a genome informatics class, neither of which is going to be a walk in the park. Biochem is a ton of reading and memorization, plus 9 freaking quizzes this quarter (as opposed to only exams last quarter), and genome informatics is a programming assignment a week. Hopefully they won't be too difficult and I won't be too far behind in the programming aspect, since I haven't written even a snippet of code in probably 4 years. I think it's mostly Perl though, and from what I hear Perl is pretty easy to learn.

I think I'm going to give myself the afternoon to watch some Firefly and blow my nose some more. Cause I haven't done enough of that today.

No comments: